Whole hog cookers

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by tcc, Apr 10, 2018.

1. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

While we're on the topic of smokers, how many of you guys have dedicated hog roasting rigs? Let's see some pics if you do.

I've always used a smoke shed I'd built with the hog butterflied and hung between two pieces of expanded metal, but we burned the thing down last year so gotta get something else put together.

2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

You don't need anything fancy to cook whole hogs.
    Cinder blocks a peice of expanded metal and piece of sheet metal makes the best cooker there is.:yes:yes:yes:tu
    Forgot sand, if you have a spot to builtthe smoker, a few bags of sand for the fire bed, more sand to fill the cinder blocks if it's going to stay there for a while.:yes:tu

stevena198301 likes this.
  3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Cinderblock pit ain't bad, but I do prefer the shed I had(I've done both). This go around I want something a little more portable, whether it's just the shed on a trailer or a propane tank smoker or whatever. Yeah I could tote cinderblocks around, but just not what I'm looking for. Actually considering some sort of a spit simply because everyone can easily watch it cook; let's face it, roasting a whole hog is more about the show and the whole event than the finished product. If you're just going for the best que it's really best to cook the parts separately.
    I've got tons of ideas rolling around in my head and have done a good bit of research; mostly just curious as to what you guys use.

Or maybe I should just get a Traeger? :dv

callinfowl likes this.
  4. Ducksniper

Ducksniper Elite Refuge Member

Okay get a Treager

Zane, callinfowl and tcc like this.
  5. callinfowl

The best whole hog I ever ate was cooked over natural wood and charcoal over and open pit.
    it was cooked on a Spit that was spun by an old Chevy truck starter motor, no enclosure what so ever, lots of green wood for heavy smoke.:tu

tcc likes this.
  6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

We've always used straight wood, no charcoal. Usually a mix of oak and pecan.

Vahunter likes this.
  7. callinfowl

I normally use a combo of wood and hardwood charcoal, mainly for the convenience, as I don't have room for a burn barrel. I wish did!
    You use my two favorite woods, I also use a lot of green apple wood, mainly because I have two granny smith apple trees in my back yard.:l:l:l
    I've tried orange and lemon wood, but don't really care for them, I wish I did because I have tons of orange and lemon trees around my house that I could prune for free to get wood. :l
    A few years ago an old forum member that works for one of the wineries in Napa CA save me a truck load of red wine soaked oak staves that they use to get the oak flavouring the big bulk wine aging tanks.
    That stuff is amazing for smoking anything beef, I still have a good size pile of it, but it's a few years old and doesn't have the bold red wine scent to them anymore but it's still great for smoking anything you would use oak wood for. I'm going to have to hit him up again soon, napa is only 40 minutes from my home so it's no problem running up to grab a load of wood and a few bottles of wine.:tu

newduk and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

In the shed we're cooking almost completely indirectly so we don't burn it down to coals first. Just try to keep a small hot fire burning and throw a log on every hour or so.
    Peach is my favorite for pork, but hard to get in large quantity. There's a peach orchard about 5 miles from the house but all I can usually get is half rotted wood.
    Pecan is my all around go to; similar to hickory but with a twinge of sweet.
    Where are you in Cali? I've got a buddy that just moved to Visala not long ago.

9. callinfowl

Peach wood is awesome on pork and fish.
    I'm in Concord, which is about an hour north east of SF. I live about 5 minutes away from the CA Delta a little bit east of me they grow tons of peach , plum, nectarine and pears. I don't try very hard to get that wood. I'm sure if I took the drive out that way with a couple of 12 packs of Bud, I could come home with a nice load for the smoker. As soon as this rain quits I'm gonna take a drive to see what I can find. :tu

tcc likes this.
  10. callinfowl

"In the shed" as in the BBQ joint? I've seen that place on TV, it looks like it was a fun place.
    Didn't it burn down?