Who's The Boss ?

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Doc E, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Thank you sir, for addressing my question. The OP posted:

I appreciate your original answer, my take on life is that all people are good until shown to be otherwise, and I treat all people as I would wish to be treated. In addition, I treat marriage as a partnership and decisions are made by consensus, when consensus can't be reached, then someone must bend for the good of the relationship. My issue is with the many other scriptures, which I listed, that seem to contradict that. If, as some have speculated, the original scriptures were incorrectly translated, how do we reconcile that?

2. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

Well a couple things need to be reconciled. Being a “boss” must be defined. If anyone has been on the earth very long he has had a boss or is one. How that looks to a person can change dramatically on what “kind” of boss we’re talking about. When I was in the military there were leaders I was honored to serve under. Likewise there were others that led to promote self. Inside this is what defines a leader. How do you define a “great” leader?

3. Phytoplankton

Didn't really help me to be understand, but I appreciate the response, have a nice day.

4. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

I, in no way indicated the words were incorrectly translated, just that they were taken out of context because of an apparent intent to make a point contrary to what the full compliment of scriptures are trying to convey. Picking and choosing the list you did is a clear indicator you are not seeking insight or clarification but division and ridicule. I may have been born on a Tuesday but it wasn't last Tuesday.

Regarding language translation, as was pointed out, in the English language "submission" can mean many things. So can love, hate, lead, follow, teach, etc. Those definitions can also change over time and across cultures. As an example, many different words are used for "love" in the original languages the Bible was written in, whereas the English translation only includes the one word (because we don't have equivalent words). I don't know how many words may have been used for "submission," teach, follow, etc., or the understood context at the time of those letters by the recipients of the letters. I'm not a Bible linguist but I find it likely there is more than one word or meaning for that word. My point is why are you narrowly focusing on the worst possible interpretation of the words you can imagine rather than the intent for which they were written and the people and time for which they were written, given the overall intent of the full compliment of scriptures (the entire Bible)?

As was also pointed out, there are a great many instructions for men around these scriptures you quoted that if accomplished make the idea of "submission" for wives an easy and straightforward proposition, even under your definition. If a husband truly loves his wife as he loves God he will never expect his wife to submit in a way she wouldn't eagerly be doing already anyway. Christian marriage is in itself a promise to give 100% of yourself at all times to each other and to the will of God. Human failure to accomplish this ideal in no way diminishes the aspiration of that perfect marriage or the challenge these passages propose to husbands and wives then or now.

5. Phytoplankton

Have a nice day, you’re entitled to your opinion. I will not darken your doorway again.

6. Buffalo Howler

You have input. What do you need to understand?

7. Phytoplankton

Thank you again, but it's been made quite clear, I am not welcome here.

8. Buffalo Howler

Let’s just have a discussion over the things of God.

9. onjig

onjig Senior Refuge Member

Hey, hold on ~ if someone doesn't agree with you ~ doesn't mean you're not wanted or hated ```

10. onjig

onjig Senior Refuge Member

Phytoplankton ~ There is a book called " Strongs Exhaustive Concordance " it gives the meaning of a word or phrase form the language it was written in ~ I think you can access one on line ~ there are words and phrases that just don't come out right in another language without a foot note ~ the Concordance really help in understanding ~ languages that have changed over hundreds of years ```

Example: I read something in Early English where the word "Hard" meant Close ~ as in:( Hard by the river ) I'm surely not explaining very well ~ but ~ I suggest you get a concordance or access the use of one on line ~ it will make so much difference ~ you may come out thinking just as you do now ~ Or ~ you just may see things in a different light ```

His light to your eyes