Will this be the year the Bottoms remain dry?

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by golden boy, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Impossible to prevent dishonest folks from breaking the law. All the new regulations do is control the honest ones.

gadwall52 and stevena198301 like this.
  2. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

It does give us the ability to crack down on the illegal operations when they are found in violation. KDWPT has to want to enforce the law in order for it to be effective.

3. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

You know, I guess we finally know the answer to this thread, months later:

No, this will not be the year the Bottoms remain dry.

4. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

I like your logic here, but be careful about the draw aspect. To even further your point, Bob Brown has a max of 16 groups, not 36. Also, almost 50% of Bob Brown is refuge. It creates for nice spaced out hunting, but there are still "go-to" spots that are fought over and raced to in every pool.

5. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

when i lived in St joe, i hunted there or the river often this was 2005, i could have sworn the number allowed in changed during the year based on some factors. come to think of it i think it started low like 10-14 then rose. just thought it was higher than 16.

i maybe confusing Otter with Bob Brown, we traveled there a few times as well.

6. dannyduck

dannyduck New Member

Bob Brown pumps water into the hunting pools prior to the beginning of the season. They purposely bring the water up slowly in each pool, pumping for about a week before shutting the pumps off, allowing the birds to eat the food that is available. They will restart the pumps and continue adding water to the pool when the available food is mostly consumed. The additional pumped water allows the birds to either reach corn that was too tall to reach earlier, and/or floods previously dry perimeter acreage. As more water is pumped into the pools as the season progresses, the huntable acreage expands outward. This allows more parties to be added as the season progresses. By bringing the water up in a controlled manner the birds cannot eat all the corn in a week or two and leave. It does mean, however, that the huntable acreage is minimal at the beginning of the season and is at it's maximum at the end of the season.

7. Marshwalker

Marshwalker Senior Refuge Member

Would that be Ford County lake?

8. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Uhm nope

9. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Uh-oh...someone's trying to do some internet scouting.

10. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Ford co. has about a thousand geese that use it after Thanksgiving.MW is welcome to to hunt it all he wants.