California Flyway Forum Sponsors

With Shark week coming up, anyone got any close encounter stories with the "Tax Man".

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by tule, Jul 8, 2019.

1. tule

tule Elite Refuge Member

My buddy that taught me to surf lives in and frequently surfs around San Clemente!

2. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I worked with a guy who went on one of those shark cage adventures down in Mexico. He said there were ton of 7-12 ft whites, mostly juveniles with a few adults. They'd lay out a blood slick and chum, then get into the cages (NOT ME). He said at one point the captain was doing a safety briefing, standing about 4 feet from the rail, about a 10 ft. white basically tail walked up the side of the boat with it's head above the rail. Just about then the capt. asked if there were any questions, when my buddy pipes up "Is that normal" and points. He said the capt. turned around, saw the white just behind him and jumped about 4 feet in the air, when he landed and caught his breath, he said "NO!"

tule likes this.
  3. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Last one, I promise. There may be a few of you on this board that remember Randy Fry, it was 15 years ago near Ft. Bragg. It was one of those rare calm days and Randy, Cliff and Sal Dimecurio were going to ab a spot that was only accessible on very calm days, two of my close friends were going to follow them in another boat. On the way to the launch the wheel bearings on my friends boat locks up, so they tell Randy, that they'll replace the bearing and try to meet them later. Luckily, they were unable to it fixed right away so they didn't go. Randy and Cliff were experienced divers and Sal was going to tend the boat while they dove. They were a hundred yards or so off-shore over the top of a wash rock. Randy went in first, followed by Cliff. About 45 seconds later Cliff comes up screaming the a 17 ft. white swam right over the top of him and headed for the wash rock, about 20 seconds later a blood slick came to the surface, but Randy didn't. They found his torso a few days later, the shark had taken his head and upper chest. Very sad!

4. free_gaff

free_gaff Elite Refuge Member

177300.jpg Guadalupe Island 2017...fish is 5' long, weighed 141#...deck hand came over to help(Rocco, Juvie), and when he opened his mouth to get a better grip on the fish, we pulled it out of his mouth...

tule likes this.
  5. IV Hunt

IV Hunt Refuge Member

I do remember the Randy Fry story well.
    Even if they mistake you for prey, they have usually done irreparable damage by then.

6. IV Hunt

IV Hunt Refuge Member

They didn't have that level of notoriety in the 70's, other than Jaw's scaring the crap out of everyone.
    Mr green jeans came out to check on us. When I handed him my license, he said he was just checking up on us, as there had been some recent predations on the colony.

7. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Damn, that's rough. Id never go back near the salt after that. Prayers for his family.

8. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

New Brighton is loaded... quite a few smaller ones, but there are a few larger models swimming around there too.

9. circlehooker

circlehooker Elite Refuge Member

I remember that day like it was yesterday. That was a very sad day.

10. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

I was shooting fish over by Noyo that day. Sad and scary.

I was off Caspar the same year, saw a pack of sea lions come porpoising past me as fast as they could go. There was a straggler- he was missing about 1/2 a yard from his rear end and leaving a helluva blood slick.
    Suddenly I had enough fish for the day and got myself dry real quick.

tule likes this.