Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Wood duck box time

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by Little Ruddy, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Great stuff. The kids will have great memories forever.

2. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

All the wood duck.condos are taken. Have several with down around the opening...meaning the hen has pulled her feathers and is in broody stage. Still have a snapper issue...working on that right now. Beavers are also making an appearance,but won't be for long...their days are numbered.

3. dukhawk

dukhawk Senior Refuge Member

Woodies all incubating along with one errant hoodie, returns every year. also a mallard on floating nest which, if you've never tried is easy. Here's a pic, pm me if you want to know how to build one of these mallards love 'em

Attached Files:

dukejb likes this.
  4. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

You don't have problems with predators with that setup?

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I was thinking the same thing. Can raccoons do the dog paddle? Snakes hop that 4" onto the mini dock?

6. dukhawk

not yet. I've thought a good deal about that problem as well, and while the setup is by no means predator proof, by being in the middle of the pond- mine has been anywhere from 10' to 30' in the pond, it seems to prevent predators from scenting a brooding hen and destroying the nest. Similarly to the way resident geese invariably use an island or platform rather than a shoreline nest site, if available. Based on prior experience with captive breeding- which i don't do any more- i would expect that once a 'coon or other predator finds an artificial nest it can raid, that type of setup will never be safe until the culprit is removed. When i was raising birds in an enclosure these floaters were used by redheads, ruddies, and blue winged teal, but it was hard to keep the wild mallards out.

curiously i've never had a problem with mr. thin lips

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    creedsduckman likes this.
  7. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Several boxes now have down feathers around the hole which means the hen duck is setting. Hopefully,they will hatch on time and be out and moving soon.

8. dwhipper61

dwhipper61 Senior Refuge Member

Checked my boxes yesterday. Did not see any down around the holes so doubt they are being used. Did not disturb them. Did find a pair of nesting mallards and most of my blinds have geese setting nests on the roofs.

dukejb likes this.
  9. dukhawk

two boxes hatched (one was a hoodie- really early nesters) one with a cold egg and probably not an active nest, 4th with a rather disgruntled hen woodie still incubating. Mallard still incubating but ought to hatch any day.