Word of the Day, June 13, 2018, 3 John 1:4

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Marty, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Marty

Marty Elite Refuge Member

Word of the Day, June 13, 2018

“ So Father, give me the strength to be everything I am called to be. Oh, Father, show me the way to lead them. Won't you lead me?”

3 John 1:4

4 I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.

Last night at our Tuesday Night Men’s Prayer I got to witness this verse in action. We had a father and his son lead our preaching for the evening and this has happened a few weeks before with another father and son leading the charge for the Word of GOD. This was such a blessing to witness how the fathers have invested into their sons the Word of GOD and to see the following in their father’s footstep of being a believer in Christ Jesus.

As a father of three girls, it is so exciting to see them being believers in Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour and to see them serve His kingdom. My youngest daughter has a willing heart to reach out and share the gospel through praise and worship. My middle daughter is teaching and working with Awana kids to learn the scriptures and my oldest daughter is using her talents and gifts for GOD on mission trips all over the world to sharing the truth.

Having said all this, it is not about their works of service but that they know the truth of GOD, His Words and their humility for Christ and willingness to serve. I don’t just say this about my kids but for all the kids that are following in the footsteps of what their parents have taught them, the truth of Christ Jesus.

I know we are all just one step from sin destroying our lives but through prayer, reading the bible together, church and praise and worshipping as a family we have a better chance for our kids to be life long followers of Christ.

A few scriptures with Godly counsel about how we are to train up our children.

Proverbs 22:6: 6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Ephesians 6:4: 4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

Psalm 127:3-5: 3 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. 4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. 5 Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.

James 5:12: 12 But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.

James writes here advice and guidance for all of us. However as a parent, if my kids do not see me as a believer, a reader and a doer of the Word of GOD, in prayer, serving others then how do I expect them to do the same. I pray often that my yea be yea and my nay be nay for Christ.

Genesis 18:19: 19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

Proverbs 29:17: 17 Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul.

Proverbs 1:8-9: 8 My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother: 9 For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck.

Proverbs 15:5: 5 A fool despiseth his father's instruction: but he that regardeth reproof is prudent.

Proverbs 4:3-4: 3 For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother. 4 He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.

Like GOD my Father at times needs to correct me, the same is true for our children. Proverbs 4:4 was a verse that made me really understand how my relationship with GOD needed to be and also with our children’s relationship with GOD should look like. It really is simple, study and retain the Word of GOD in our heart, walk, talk and actions, keep His commandments and by doing these things, we can live for Christ and the life that GOD wants for us.

I got to witness this last night, a few weeks ago and with my own children seeing them be followers of Christ and by this they are Loving GOD, following His Words by Loving People and Serving Others and obeying the great commission that Christ commands us to do by Telling Everyone about the only name and the only one that can change us and give us eternity with Him and that is Christ Jesus.

So our challenge today is that we put Christ first in our own lives or if you do not know Christ as your personal Saviour, reach out to Him today. As a father or mother, there is nothing better for our family than to know Christ. We need to continue or start praying for our children, lifting them up to our Father GOD. Pray for their relationship with Christ to continue to grow or for them to know Christ if they do not know Him yet. Lift up their futures to Him, their education, career choices, their future or present spouse and family. Pray to the Almighty GOD that they draw nigh to Him more and more each and everyday. We need to continue or start spending time with them in the Bible, to worship together, to get to church as a family, serving together for those in need and being the light to our world around us.

Oh Father GOD, help me be that father that heeds your Word in my own life first, then to train up my children and that I have no more greater joy than to know and see that my children know the truth and to see them serving You and Your kingdom daily for Your glory.

“ I’ll try to lead them by Your truth. I’ll tell them life is found in You, but even that won’t be enough because only You can reveal Your love. Would you steal their hearts as You call their name. In a broken world tryin’ to do the same. Would You let them see the majesty of who You are.”

Timothy P. Furness