Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Xpress boat dealer

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Clint, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Clint

Clint Refuge Member

Hey guys, I've been looking to purchase a new boat, maybe a seaark, G3 or an xpress. I've seen the seaark and G3 models in person(at local dealers) but I cant seem to find a local or even reasonably local dealer of xpress boats. There was a dealer on rt. 50 near the Queenstown outlets but I think they've closed. I just want to see these boats in person before I buy, or even decide. I like the xpress boats by looking at them on the internet, but I'm the kind of guy who needs/likes to see it in person before they buy. Anybody purchased an xpress lately? Where did you get it? Customer service? Did they have boats in inventory? Thanks

2. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Senior Refuge Member

bought one about 15 or so years ago from a dealer in st michaels (gone now). broke 3 welds the first 2 trips, the company had them re-welded. 5 trips later, the welds were broken again and i had an additional 10 for a total of 13. this was in less than one month. company DID NOT treat me right, even after i provided them will all the information they wanted me to provide. i literally took it back to the dealer and left it. the dealer was great and gave me a full refund. the next day i bought a carolina skiff and was happy for many years.

3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Clint give me a call, I will PM you my number. I bought an 18 XTS from the dealer on RT50 two years ago (almost to the day).

There are pluses and minuses to the Xpresses. I'm very happy with mine overall. I am using it weekly at this point

I am having a slight trailer issue right now, but I have no idea if that is on me or them or other?

Pluses -
    Heavy boat
    Rides and corners very well, doesn't slam when I hit wakes.
    I personally like the layout (drop deck, tiller, built in steps on transom)
    I can't float it pretty shallow, but with the 60hp it takes probably 2ft of clean water to make headway, maybe a bit less
    Decently fast for it's weight- I have a 60 Yammie 4Stroke on it. Pushes 34mph wide open when two guys, running 28-30mph with full load and not at full throttle.

Cons -
    Heavy boat, no pushing if the tides out from under you.
    Their 18 footer is not 60 inches wide, a bit less and they build these things for timber so the gunnel is less as the sides of boat come up at a steeper angle. This gives you a little more freeboard, but less cockpit space
    I am not a fan of the electricals- panel is in an awkward spot where switches are easily and often mistakenly turned on. I took care of theis through a master breaker on the battery.

At the time I went with this over the Seaark because this boat didn't need wiring, nav lights, spot light, and had enclosed storage. I'm not poo pooing the other brands. Just seemed most appropriate for me when I bought it.

Happy to take a test spin if you want to try it out.

4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

You might be able to buy or make a clear plexiglass hinged cover for your electronic panel.

5. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

I have a 16ft and have had it for 16/17 years. I have had it in the ocean and back bays of hatteras several times. I will say that it has lasted being used 30+ days a season every year and has been used heavy. I have broke up to two inch thick ice with it and have put it through its paces. If someone asked I would not buy another one. Nothing bad about it but I think others are better. I would buy a war eagle. My family has a seaark and its a rough riding beast. But the seaark offers .125 and that is hard to come by. But I would not get an xpress. My .02cents

6. gooserslucer

gooserslucer Senior Refuge Member

Seaark is hard to beat. I have a 16' and we had a wind storm drop 6 trees on it up to 14" in diameter. Two small dings in the gunnel. Never a broken weld or anything else. Bought it in Seaford, De. Bought mine in 97.

Mike