Yamaha Kodiak 450

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by shell waster, Aug 10, 2005.

1. shell waster

shell waster Senior Refuge Member

I thinking of getting, has anyone had belt problems after getting wet, ie burrying in mud/ water and then the belt slips etc. I guess if you had this problem with a 660 Grizzly the same would apply for the 450 Kodiak. Thanks.

2. LouBshoes

LouBshoes Senior Refuge Member

I don't think they are belt driven? My father in law just bought one and it is not belt driven. It runs strong with the automatic trans.

3. Headgear

Headgear Senior Refuge Member

It is belt driven. Hondas are not belt driven. I won't go into the pros/cons of 4 wheelers with rubber bands vs real transmissions :dv You probably can't tell I own a Honda Rubicon :cool:

4. mossydog

mossydog Senior Refuge Member

i've got a kodiak 400 and have had it deep in water and mud. haven't had any problems.

5. rouser1

rouser1 Senior Refuge Member

Iowa....juuuuust a bit outside West Des Moines
    I owned a 400 Kodiak for a couple years...was a GREAT ATV, I had it in deep enough water to float it several times and never once had a problem with a belt slipping.

There is nothing wrong with a belt driven machine, Honda makes a heck of a nice machine too. Easier and quicker to replace a belt than it is a Hondamatic :D :D :D ....couldn't resist as I love Yamahas... Honda makes a sweet ATV also..

6. hunthard

hunthard Senior Refuge Member

A buddy of mine has an 04 Kodiak with the solid rear axle. He says it's easier to tip over than his Rancher. He has had no problems with his transmission.

7. shell waster

shell waster Senior Refuge Member